Be Free from Addiction
How many does it take?
- There is no set number of cigarettes that you must smoke before you become addicted to nicotine. It can take as little as one cigarette to develop a dependency.
- Nicotine addiction depends on social, environmental, cognitive, and genetic influences.
Why is nicotine so addictive?
- Like heroin and cocaine, nicotine acts on the brain to cause feelings of pleasure and satisfaction.
- However, the drug’s pleasurable effects fade quickly causing you to smoke again to prevent nicotine withdrawals.
- Withdrawal symptoms occur within four to six hours after smoking and include depressed mood, insomnia, irritability, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, restlessness, increased appetite, and cravings for tobacco.